[Bf-committers] Libraries update

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Thu Jan 7 21:49:54 CET 2016

Hi,
answers inline.

Am 07.01.16 um 16:27 schrieb Sergey Sharybin:
> Hey,
>
> This mail is mainly to the platform maintainers, but might be interesting
> for other guys around as well.
>
> Proposal is to update the following libraries:
>
> - Boost to 1.60 (will bring some fixes required to make OpenVDB work, see
> some earlier discussion in the list)
> - OIIO to 1.6.9 (will bring fixes to such areas as alpha handling in
> Jpeg2000)
> - OSL to 1.6.9 (general improvements, fixes, optimizations etc)
Sounds good to me.

> it also seems a good idea to set USE_SIMD to sse2 for both OIIO and OSL,
> this should give some additional improvements. (Unfortunately, we can't go
> higher than SSE2 because OIIO/OSL does nto do runtime checks and our
> current requirement is SSE2 CPUs, using higher optimization will make
> Blender unusable).
I actually did some tests here on Windows already (with OIIO/OSL master
snapshots from some months ago), and back then it gave me 0% speedup, on
the contrary, it seemed slower. Not sure why this happened, but we
should carefully benchmark this and definitely build the libs once with
and once without SIMD first locally on our machines and run some
benchmarks.

> LLVM we can't really update yet, OSL requires it to be compiled with C++11
> when using LLVM newer than 3.4 series. So will propose to keep LLVM version
> unchanged for now.

Best regards,
Thomas