[Bf-committers] VSE movie and other improvements

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Thu Jan 7 16:33:23 CET 2016

On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 04:11:17PM +0100, Knapp wrote:
> I started researching the VSE.

Great!

> So my first question is how do I correct the manual? For example " you
> can’t put anything thing in this special one!"  I am not even sure what the
> means.
> Near the end.
> https://www.blender.org/manual/en/editors/sequencer/introduction.html

That's quite a gem you found there. I think it refers to the channel
numbers being shown a bit weirdly in the VSE; it looks like there is a
channel 0, while there actually isn't. I think this is the "special
one" the manual refers to.

> Second question; is there anything you want me to be sure to cover
> in this short video? Any must haves?

Things that come to mind:

    - Configuring the render settings based on the video properties
      (dimensions & frame rate)
    - Rendering the VSE to a video file (covering at least exporting
      to a Youtube-compatible h.264 file).
    - Cutting a video into strips, and moving them around.
    - Cross fades between video strips.

I think with these things covered, most people that want to "just edit
a video" are helped.

Cheers,
--
Sybren A. Stüvel