[Bf-committers] "Blender, an appraisal from a first time user"

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 21:53:23 CET 2016

On 01/03/2016 03:38 AM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> 1) Meaningless tooltips

It'd be nice to have a more obvious way for users to suggest tooltips.
(is anyone actually using the old page on the wiki
<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Proposals/UI/Tooltips>?)

It'd be even cooler if there was a link in the tooltips themselves to
edit (or at least suggest an edit) for that tooltip (wikipedia style).
Many times I've spotted less-than-descriptive tooltips, but I either
forgot about it or was too lazy to go and edit the wiki in the vague
hope that one day a developer might chance upon my entry.

Not sure how you'd actually click on such a link (being in a tooltip
which depends on mouse position and all), perhaps it could be put in the
right click menu or something.

Since (afaik) one of the goals of the manual is to describe each setting
in more detail than the tooltip, perhaps this tooltip editing system
could be integrated with the manual in some way (full manual entry and
abbreviated tooltip could be stored and edited side-by-side).

Perhaps the reverse would be possible, an option in blender to show
extended tooltips which display the full manual entry. Hopefully such an
option would vastly reduce time needed to look things up in the manual,
particularity for new users.