[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting minutes - February 27, 2016

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 21:02:14 CET 2016

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 2:45 AM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the actual issue is a lack of coordination work for contributors and the
> reason why Manual is still in a reasonable shape is simply only because all
> the contributors are scared away and now it's 1.5 people only working on it.

The changes that have been made had some review first and corrections
made before being committed.

> f we'll do better coordination work, then Wiki documentation will not be a
> disaster at all.

Maybe so, on the other hand the wiki had a long time to prove its self,
and after many years never gave very usable documentation.

I think we just don't have enough people interested and capable to
write (and more importantly maintain) documentation on *any* system.

At this point though the new manual seems to be so unpopular that
(even though I personally find it nice to work with).

This seems strange since for Blender we have 4gig of libs, or
install_deps scripts... boost,
yet for documentation installing a Python package is unacceptable or so.
Almost nobody (close to none of the developers) is really interested
to even bother installing Sphinx and trying to use it.

Can we just give up and declare ourselves incapable of maintaining
documentation entirely?
Move back to the wiki? leave existing docs to bit-rot?

If there is no support for the current system,
I'm not sure if we can expect anything to improve.