[Bf-committers] CUDA toolkit has been bumped for official builds

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 15:37:10 CET 2016

Hey,

After dealing with some bug reports about major speed loss we decided it's
better to scarify few percent of performance on an older cards and simpler
scenes (varies a bit, but it's all within 5%) than have major speed loss on
higher end cards and more production scenes (up to 30% easily).

This means Cycles CUDA kernels can still be compiled with toolkit 6.5, but
official builds will be done with toolkit 7.5.

Dealing with 5% speed loss is easier than with 30% anyway, but honestly i
don't think we'll have time for that before 2.77 release. Think we've got
enough new features to compensate that :)

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin