[Bf-committers] Integrating Assimp into Blender

Fabio Pesari fabio at pesari.eu
Wed Feb 17 00:05:49 CET 2016

Are there any practical advantages to integrating Assimp ([0]) into
Blender? How good are Blender's importers/exporters compared to Assimp's?

I think one benefit would be to allow other developers not interested in
Blender to contribute to things Blender needs (like FBX, COLLADA and
glTF support), and I see no reason import/export functionalities should
not be moved to a separate library which other free programs can also use.

[0]: https://github.com/assimp/assimp