[Bf-committers] glTF Exporter

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 05:09:54 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Mike Erwin <significant.bit at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there enough missing parts to make a good GSoC project?

Yes, I think there's enough extra work that can be done to complete
the exporter feature set,
possibly an importer too (though as this format isn't intended for
interchange, it's not essential).

Daniel/Mitchell, interested to know what you think about this.
Also if you intend to spend a lot of time on this before GSOC starts.

See glTF on the ideas page:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2016/Ideas#Import.2FExport_support_for_glTF_File_Format

> Mike Erwin
> musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire
>
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 11:22 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 7:56 AM, Daniel Stokes <kupomail at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Greetings bf-committers,
>> >
>> > Since there was some interested in glTF support in Blender, I have moved
>> > the glTF exporting functionality out of the Real Time Engine addon, and
>> > made it available as its own addon. Since the exporting was meant for
>> > serving a specific purpose, it does not have any options other than a
>> > filepath. It is also missing support for animations and missing some
>> > options around textures and materials. However, for anyone looking to
>> play
>> > around with glTF, this could be useful. The output of the exporter passes
>> > the validator supplied by Khronos.
>> >
>> > The link:
>> > https://github.com/Kupoman/io_scene_gltf
>> >
>> > I would like to mention that Mitchell Stokes did most of the initial
>> > implementation of the glTF exporting.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Daniel Stokes
>>
>> Hi Daniel, good to see this get its own repo, but found the add-on is
>> split between 2 locations.
>> This means forking to make a few edits is quite a lot more complicated
>> (seems like both repos need to be forked, then manually update the
>> submodule).
>>
>> Also for git history, bisecting... etc, splitting history for a 2-file
>> Python module between 2 repos seems more trouble then its worth.
>>
>> Any chance this could be made a single repo?
>>
>> --
>> - Campbell

- Campbell