[Bf-committers] The future of FBX and/or other formats in Blender

Brian Savery brian.savery at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 20:42:40 CET 2016

> Right now I'm a bit scared by the binary blob they offer in the USD
> homepage, but if they truly make it free like they promised, why not?
>
> How does it relate to COLLADA and to the other proposed alternatives
> (like glTF)? Does it fit the main use case for FBX (videogames)?

If I could jump in here on USD front, it's meant to be a somewhat superset
on top of alembic to make it a better interchange format between DCC
platforms.

If you're asking about exporting to game engines through USD, currently I
don't know of any engines supporting it yet but you could imagine the use
cases would be similar to alembic in game engines.

It would be great to get USD support into Blender, and I'd personally
definitely would be willing to help on that front.  Keep in mind too that
if the goal is to get content into game engines, then USD could be a bridge
to maya LT (USD support will be in maya) which then could export FBX to
unity/unreal.  Then Blender doesn't necessarily chase the FBX format
directly.

Brian