[Bf-committers] The future of FBX and/or other formats in Blender

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Feb 12 10:51:29 CET 2016

Hi William,

Your message arrived loud and clear!
Of course we stick to keeping FBX IO to work, the discussion is mostly about:

- How to keep it maintained well, should we limit the scope a bit (design issue)
- Who could be found to work on it (we have a dev fund to support that)

What you (and other FBX users) can do to help is to join forces and create a reference test suite of files you want to keep working (import of fbx in Blender, export to fbx from Blender).

Not a wishlist, but a maintenance list! Files that work already (and documented how), which we can use to test before releases and after code changes.

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute