[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code ideas page

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Feb 11 18:07:07 CET 2016

Hi everyone,

Last year we didn't get in GSoC. According to Google that was because there are just too many organizations who want to get in, and because our ideas page was not following the required formatting and 'wasn't fleshed out well'.

Google referred to this for more info:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/making-your-ideas-page/

Our old page:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2015/Ideas

The ideas were indeed a bit too much text dump, not very well structured.
It's also too much feature requests, not like project proposals.

Check Gnome 2015, they got in:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreach/SummerOfCode/2015/Ideas

Is more structured indeed.

My suggestion for this year:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2016/Ideas

Let's try to write out a dozen good ideas with this template, as compact as possible.
Let's also try to add well defined simpler code projects.

I'll be coordinating this with help of Campbell. Try to connect in irc if you want to discuss it! Saves us a long thread here! :)

Thanks,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute