[Bf-committers] Request for Collada Importers/Exporters

Juan Linietsky reduzio at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 01:04:50 CET 2016

Collada exporter is here:

https://github.com/godotengine/godot/tree/master/tools/export/blender25/io_scene_dae

The only limitation it has, which I believe could be fixed quite easily but
should not be a blocker, is that to export skeletons, you have to make the
mesh a child of the skeleton.
This is because, unlike Blender, game engines do skeletal transform locally
before transforming by world matrix so this makes it more compatible and
all the content more coherent. Collada importers have not much of a problem
with this. Please remember this exporter is meant for game engines, since
Collada is not very useful as exchange format between 3D DCCs.

Collada importer is here, and it's very compatible.. Godot uses it to load
full scenes from any existing DCC fine, with full skeletal animation, morph
targets, etc. I have found that some exporters have small inconsistencies
with the format, so this importer is custom made and very, very very
tolerant. Trust me, hundreds of Godot users use it and it hasn't failed in
a long time.

https://github.com/godotengine/godot/tree/master/tools/collada

However, it's written in C++ and I don't really have any knowledge about
Blender internals. Godot manages scenes in a very similar way to Blender so
adapting it should be easy, but I honestly don't have time to learn Blender
internals. Still, I offer help about understanding and adapting the
codebase to anyone willing to do it. If you guys could adapt OpenCollada to
Blender, this should be a lot easier.

Cheers! And sorry if I sounded offensive in previous threads, please
understand that the currently situation and having to create and maintain a
parallel exporter so Blender users could export to Godot did not make me
happy, specially when Ton cried today on twitter about how FBX was evil and
we have no open standards to export to game engines...

Juan