[Bf-committers] The future of FBX and/or other formats in Blender

Juan Linietsky reduzio at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 23:45:49 CET 2016

Julian, I'm only proposing a way to solve the following problems:

1) Not having an alternative to FBX
2) Not having a fully working Collada exporter that supports the same as
the FBX. You can test mine any time, try exporting a complex scene from
Blender with skeletal animations, blend shapes, multiple actions, etc.
3) Not having a fully working Collada importer. You can test mine any time
and see how it imports Blender, OpenCollada, XSI, Lightwave, etc. with all
the above mentioned features.
4) Not having the huge bloat that represents using OpenCollada in Blender.

There is no argument here. I'm offering a working solution, I did all the
work already, developed both importer and importer. Hundreds of users
tested both working. You just have to take it or leave it.

But if you leave it, please don't follow with the hipocrisy of saying FBX
evil and we have no alternative. Collada is a fine format already, the only
problem is broken libraries (FCollada, OpenCollada).