[Bf-committers] The future of FBX and/or other formats in Blender

Juan Linietsky reduzio at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 21:41:34 CET 2016

Guys I'm sorry. I've seen this situation happening over and over to no end
for more than a decade.
How about some self-criticism from Blender instead of blaming Autodesk?

If you guys really had cared about open standards and getting along well
with game engines, you would have done the following:

1) Make sure you export proper Collada. The specification is pretty clear.
2) Push game engines to fix their importers.

Blender support for Collada has always been a disaster. There was never any
will to fix it.

-I originally insisted against using OpenCollada due to the huge binary
bloat, and the fact the spec is pretty simple.  You guys wanted to go with
it.
-The exporter was huge and full of bugs. I insisted that a lot of features
missing in the spec needed to be implemented, was ignored.
-Meanwhile, all the missing Collada features were implemented in FBX, such
as blend shapes, proper keyframe baking. constraint baking, exporting all
actions, etc.
-I wrote for you guys a proper Collada exporter in a few lines of Code that
supported the full spec, you guys refused it to add it to mainline Blender.
-I insisted, the answer was "Yeah we can put it at some development repo
and if anyone cares about it we move it to mainline". Of course, everyone
was using FBX , so who would care about Collada?

Now you cry that FBX is evil and blame Unreal, Unity and Autodesk.
Now you complain that there are not any open standards being pushed.

You know what guys? cry me a river..