[Bf-committers] The future of FBX and/or other formats in Blender

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Feb 10 16:44:52 CET 2016

Hi,

Money is very welcome. Industry users can do two things:

1) Let their company sign up for the development fund:
https://www.blender.org/foundation/development-fund/

(We get about 100 grand per year, which is 1% of what C4D users give to Maxon annually).

2) Hire developers yourself! Or assign your own developers part time on IO for Blender.

A crowd-funder for 1 feature only is very risky. What precisely do we define to fund? Who would crowdfund a developer to just fix bugs and maintenance for 2 years? I doubt people would pay for that. I wouldn't even know where to find such a coder...

For 2.8 we can do a big fund raiser, and include this on the work planning. I think professionals rather see us to keep working on the whole pipeline, starting with good PBR shader editing in viewports.

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute