[Bf-committers] The future of FBX and/or other formats in Blender

Fergal Gribben fgribben at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 16:13:14 CET 2016

I agree with Fabio and David - if industry users are so reliant on FBX
support within Blender, then crowdfunding/hiring a developer to work
specifically on FBX support is probably worth investigating. From what
Bastien has said, keeping up with the latest FBX format sounds like a major
pain, and from what I can tell, focusing efforts on supporting glTF or USD
would be time better spent.

A professional Unity license costs $75 a month, a 3DS Max subscription with
basic support costs €238 a month, and a Maya LT subscription with basic
support costs €35.70 a month

If lacking FBX support in Blender would cause people to switch to
expensive, proprietary software, is it too much to ask that they instead
donate to FBX development within Blender? If industry users were to donate
a fraction of the aforementioned licensing costs on a monthly basis,
perhaps that would be enough support for a dedicated FBX developer?

I believe EpicGames donated €10k to the development fund for better FBX
support in the past (
https://twitter.com/tonroosendaal/status/485431565447868416) - is that too
ambitious a goal for crowdfunding?

And just to weigh in with my own personal experiences as a hobbyist game
dev: the FBX format terrifies me! :) Personally, I couldn't make sense of
the file format, especially when it came to animations, so I instead
decided to create my own file format for my game engine. At least that way
I know exactly what information is available to me, and I know that any
bugs I encounter are related to my game engine's implementation, and not
due to how Blender has exported the scene. The same applies to a lot of
other hobbyist/home users I know, either they get by with the .obj format,
or they roll their own. Furthermore, any inconsistencies with my own file
format are easily identified and fixed, whereas FBX to me was a bit of a
black box.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the FBX format seems much more important
to users who work in the industry, rather than home/hobbyist users, and I
think if the demand was there as much as industry users have conveyed, a
push for donations/crowdfunding would be enough to achieve better FBX
support.