[Bf-committers] Multiple .desktop files for different modes

Fabio Pesari fabio at pesari.eu
Wed Feb 10 12:10:46 CET 2016

On 02/10/2016 11:52 AM, Todor Imreorov wrote:
> These layout presets are just a click away anyways. I would be ok if
> blender had numerous icons in the start menu - kind of like an office suit,
> but it might be a bit annoying to have many launchers in its build zip.

I was thinking more about Freedesktop categories.

On lxpanel on my system (Parabola GNU/Linux), right now Blender shows up
under "Graphics", while Kdenlive is under "Sound & Video". Blender also
belongs to the same category as Kdenlive, so it's inaccurate (and
unfair) to put it only under "Graphics", but at the same time using the
normal Blender icon and description would be misleading, so a separate
.desktop file would be a cleaner solution. Likewise, Blender could also
belong in the "Programming" category when launched in "Game Logic" mode.

For these reasons, the current .desktop file:

https://git.blender.org/gitweb/gitweb.cgi/blender.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/release/freedesktop/blender.desktop

has the right "Keywords", but the "Categories":

> Categories=Graphics;3DGraphics;

are not as accurate as they could be, in my opinion.