[Bf-committers] Introduction

Alex Fraser alex at vpac-innovations.com.au
Sat Feb 6 04:11:46 CET 2016

Hi Menglee,

On 6 February 2016 at 13:26, Menglee Guy <guymenglee at gmail.com> wrote:
> My directory looks like this:
>
> c:\blender-git\blender (master)
> c:\blender-git\build_windows
>
> So, are you saying we work and modify the source code in the build_windows,
> then copy the changes to the master for check in?

Make changes to the source in c:\blender-git\blender. When you build
again, your changes will automatically affect the application compiled
in c:\blender-git\build_windows.

The source code you checked out is your own local copy. Git is
decentralised, so you can check in whatever you like to your local
repository. As Aaron said, it's often better to work in a branch [1].
But you don't have to. The remote code (that everyone else sees) is in
a branch called `origin/master`. So when you have a change that you
want to contribute back to the Blender community, simply change to
`c:\blender-git\blender` and run `git diff origin/master`. That will
show you the changes that you have made [2]. You can run `git diff
origin/master > some_change.patch`; that will write the changes to the
.patch file, which you can upload to the tracker [3].

Cheers,
Alex

[1]: https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Branching-Basic-Branching-and-Merging
[2]: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Tools/Patches