[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes, 2018-12-17

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Dec 18 17:36:16 CET 2016

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's 15 UTC meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.

*** NOTE: next week 25 December we skip the meeting. Sunday 1 January we meet as usual.

1) Blender 2.8 projects

- We have a viewport project plan!
For discussions, use the blog on https://code.blender.org
or read the wiki doc:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.8/Source/Viewport/PlanOfAction

- Clement Foucault made a GLSL api design doc for new viewport, gets reviewed by Brecht van Lommel
now, and then gets published next week.

- Migration plan for viewport in 2.8 branch is (in short):
 (1) Finish render-layers
 (2) Depsgraph iterator to provide generic access to Objects with their data;
 (3) New API for viewport, to use new Object access and Engines/Pass drawing structure
 (4) Start with new viewport code directory, and migrate old drawing code over piece by piece

Expectation is that (4) starts in the 2nd half of January.

- Workflow and 101 docs are almost done, will be there in a couple of days.

- Bastien Montagne made a first version of override system.
https://developer.blender.org/D2417

- Sergey Sharybin worked on task scheduler for Dependency updates. Less fine grained, faster.

2) Other projects

- Google Summer of Code students have updated status here:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2016
All students are welcome to stay involved. Use the GSoC mailing list to ask for reviews or info.

- In 2017 we'll discuss release planning. There has been a request to update the release
for blender-cycles, for the various Cuda/Opencl/Intel fixes.

- Antonio Vazquez is working moving palettes from grease pencil to Blender palettes.
Design doc for Grease Pencil update will be published mid January.

Happy holidays!

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation, Director Blender Institute
Entrepotdok 57A, 1018 AD, Amsterdam, the Netherlands