[Bf-committers] Alembic triangulation

Kévin Dietrich kevin.dietrich at mailoo.org
Sat Aug 20 00:10:55 CEST 2016

Le 2016-08-19 23:53, Adriano Oliveira a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have an option to triangulate mesh on Alembic export. I
> am trying to import a animation from Blender to Unreal 4.13 and the late
> ask for tri or quad faces.
>
> Also it would be nice to have Z to Y convertion options, as long as Unreal
> rotates the Alembic imports form Blender.
>
> Congratulations for the grate job!
>
> *Adriano A. Oliveira*

Adding an option to triangulate meshes in the exporter wouldn't that
much of a trouble (though it would have to wait for after the 2.78
release), but I have to ask what prevents you from triangulating the
meshes before exporting? If you've got a lot of objects to triangulate,
a simple Python script can be written to automate the process. Shall it
be a destructive operation, or shall it preserve the state of the meshes
(meaning meshes in Blender are not triangulated, but the exported ones
are)?

For the axis conversion, Alembic files written from Blender follow the
Alembic Y-up convention, so I guess this is already what you want? I do
plan on adding support for more (custom) axis conversions though.

Regards,

Kévin Dietrich.