[Bf-committers] Weekly Blender developer meeting notes, 14 August 2016

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Aug 14 18:44:34 CEST 2016

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's 14 UTC meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.

1) 2.78 release

- Projects and planning overview:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects

- Call: we need another OS X platform maintainer, to help building releases.
The main issue is to have someone who can sign the binaries (using Foundation
account) and to do basic minimal tests with the binary before releasing it.

- Everyone: check on if the logs are complete?
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.78

- The 2D stabilization patch is nearly ready, we give it two more days to get
in master. That means that the testbuild "Ahoy" will be done Tuesday again.

- Joshua Leung proposes to add another Screen layout in the default Blender
startup .blend, for Grease Pencil users. Meeting is OK, but it should be done
by a Linux user, and very carefully to prevent it gets polluted by personal
startup settings. Undefined yet who will help with it.

2) Other projects and 2.8 project

- Bastien Montagne reports he worked on previews for the new asset engine.

- Ton reports: Clement Foucault (PBR branch) is very happy to align his work well
with what 2.8 viewport is going to be, and will be in close contact with Mike Erwin.

- Lukas asks for feedback on his Node system proposal:
https://download.blender.org/institute/nodes-design/
Not many people read it yet. Ton suggests to have a meeting about this in Blender
Institute instead, and invite Bastien and Mike Erwin as well. Invitations/planning
will follow.

- Antonio Vazquez (Grease Pencil) would like to know if a 2.79 would happen, and what
the policy is for (bigger) new projects. Meeting confirms we should put all efforts
on getting the 2.8 project started up instead. New features go to 2.8.
A 2.79 release is well possible though, for ongoing current development and for some
of the Google Summer of Code projects.

3) Google Summer of Code

- A couple of students are almost done and checked on whether the work would go to
current git master (potential 2.79) or to 2.8 for later. At least for the Cycles projects
and the UV project we should aim for adding it in the 2.7x code base.

- Tomorrow is 'soft pencils down'. In 9 days is the final deadline.
All students are being reminded to make sure their presentations are update and inviting
for users and developers to check on their work. Talk to mentors if in doubt.

Thanks,

-Ton-