[Bf-committers] Current state of Blender's user experience

TARDIS Maker tardismodeler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 18:11:15 CEST 2016

> That is why they are called conventions, so people would or should not
> break them.  Conventions should not be broken!

I'm probably not really qualified to be saying this, but in my opinion, if
we aren't willing to question things (conventions), then we aren't really
going to get anywhere. Sometimes conventions work really well. But there
are always cases where they can be improved upon, and if we aren't willing
to question them, than the UI won't be any better than any of the industry
standards.

Should we be starting with industry standards? Maybe, but Blender already
has it's own standards. I think it would be much better to be looking at it
from the perspective of what would work in Blender, instead of, here are
the industry standards and conventions, time to implement them all. As it's
been said before, Maya is Maya, 3DS Max is 3DS Max, and Blender is Blender.
They're all separate pieces of software, and they can all make their own
choices as to what standards they're going to comply to.

Again, I'm not really qualified to be saying this, (I'm a 15 year old in
his mothers basement who sometimes uses Blender), but I thought I'd throw
it out there.