[Bf-committers] Current state of Blender's user experience

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Thu Apr 28 18:04:40 CEST 2016

On 28.04.2016 14:17, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> https://twitter.com/tonroosendaal/status/725659831978315776

> Mondrian on Eindhoven station: "Convention, a sort of memory,
> is the biggest obstacle to enjoy life and art."

OK, then lets consider,
what makes most people fall for conventions sooner or later?

You might call it simplification, or, if growing older, just a state of being
worn out. You had had that discussion over and over again, you know, those kind
of discussions where arguments go circle forever. Arguments, which in fact are
choices taken by some person and then dressed up in the form of logic,
to make them look irrefutable.

CamelCase or underscores. Right-click select or Left-click select. Tabs or
spaces for indentation. BEGIN-END or curly braces. Functional vs Object-oriented
Indeed, each of those *do make a difference*, but all you can do is pick one
side and then look how the rest of the world looks when taken from that side.

Which brings up another aspect: patterns of behaviour, and conditioning, both
mental and physical. These allow you to fold away a whole system of complex
relationships behind a single notion. To move and play with those, without
exceeding our, always, at any time very limited mental capabilities.

What is labelled "convention" often in fact indicates a whole system of
interconnected patterns, patterns of thinking and acting, a pattern language.
Those empower the people living within that system, they create an distinct
environment -- but there is an inevitable flip side of the coin: they shadow
other options, you loose possibilities that would have been open, had you
connected the paths in a different way. Which brings us back to Mondrian.

Not much we can do about it. You have to take your place, make your choices,
at least for some time. To decide is intimidating, because, after all, its *me*
taking that decision, it is *me* going that path, which means, there will be an
end to it. And that hurts.

-- Ichthyo