[Bf-committers] Current state of Blender's user experience (Ton Roosendaal)

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Wed Apr 27 02:03:09 CEST 2016

Hi,

actually, this discussion and topic is much about people talking
past each other and not getting the rsp. other side's point. Last week,
we had a somewhat related discussion at LAC Berlin.

The "other folks" in the "outside world" have been trained to perceive
matters in a certain structure: There is a "product". This is made by
some "official" entity, which has status and reputation. This producer
creates a "production pipeline" to feed this product to "me" the "customer".
I pay for it, thus the producer has an natural interest to "care" for my
demands. The producer might even create "channels" where I can push my
"feed back" towards the producer or buy additional services, like training.

I have not the slightest inclination to judge or value this perception
in any way, like being right or wrong or better or worse.

However, OpenSource world is just not structured that way. It is more
like a village: It is a friendly, slightly chaotic yet hospitably village,
everyone is welcome, you may settle down there, chop some wood and build your
own house, and then do your stuff while also participate and exchange and
sometimes even cooperate with the other inhabitants.
And when something doesn't work for us, we'll fix it.

Needless to say, when the inhabitants of those two sister worlds meet,
they glare at each other's "strange habits" with bewilderment.

-- Ichthyo