[Bf-committers] Current state of Blender's user experience (Ton Roosendaal) (Sybren A. St?vel) (Ton Roosendaal)

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 21:25:07 CEST 2016

> I often get mails from professionals who say "nice job on Blender, but..."
> and then come with a list of favourite Maya or Max features. This might be
> an acceptable consumer attitude towards commercial software, but it's very
> not helpful for a public open source project. Dynamics here work
> differently, it's not based on market shares or consumer satisfaction, it's
> based one time and energy - contributions.

Oh really?  Care to explain?  I find such feedback incredibly helpful.
I think you're making the mistake of thinking that if a user wants
something, he should get it now.

That's just silly.  I'm perfectly happy to take a commercial user's
input, and factor it into my medium and long-term thinking.  An
example of that is superknife, which I designed as a hybrid of two
different commercial package's knife tools.  It took years for BMesh
to reach a state where I could implement it.  Geoffrey Bantle thought
the same way, which is why the BMesh data structure he designed is so
flexible and yet simple to work with; it's meant to cover all an
enormous number of use cases (except cad, which requires holes in
polygons; both of us were too intimidated to attempt it at the time).
We loved getting ideas from commercial software and the users of that
software.

Of course, given the human tendency to turn every public conversation
into a flame war over "which is normatively better, my tribe--erm, I
mean app--or yours?", most of these conversations happened
semi-privately on IRC or through email, and occasionally the main
developers list.

I love feedback.  Feedback is wonderful.  Software development is an
incredibly complicated constrained optimization process.  Feedback
helps you prioritize goals.  It doesn't have to be implemented
immediately; in fact it can take years, and I think that's okay.  I'd
much rather have knowledge I cannot act on now, then live in ignorance
until I have the means to implement said knowledge.  When I finally do
implement it, I'll have had years to think about it.

Cheers,
Joe