[Bf-committers] Current state of Blender's user experience

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 00:08:25 CEST 2016

I have been using blender for a long time and something that I see is that
it's power and features have grown greatly. This means that what it takes
to learn it has also grown greatly.  It is a really hard program to learn.
On the other hand because of the number of great tutorials and sites to
help newbies, it is in many ways way easier to learn and it is much easier
these days to make great art after your first 6 months of use. I wish I
could have learned what I know now when I started.

The takeaway from this is that the way users support each other is the real
key to why Blender is great.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 10:39 PM, homac <homac at strace.org> wrote:

> Hi there!
>

> Considering the rating of the reddit replies, lack of customer support
> (paid) is the most important issue according to them (with 123 points!).
>
> To just summarise:
>

> Blender's Disadvantages Ordered by Rating:
> 1. No option to have (paid) customer support contracts.
> 2. UI does not comply to industry quasi standards.
> 3. Missing or error prone integration with existing tools.
> 4. No (official) training at acceptable quality level.
>

> I think (1) and (4) could actually provide additional funding. (2) is
> obviously the main reason why newbies get frustrated and leave Blender.
> People start learning key bindings and procedures, *after* they have
> decided to use a software.
>

> Regards
>   Holger
>

> On 22.04.2016 00:07, Daniel Stokes wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I recently came across this thread on the gamedev sub Reddit:
> >
> https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/4fs4db/why_dont_more_professional_game_studios_use_free/
> >

> > In that thread are several unfavorable opinions about Blender, mostly
> about
> > its UI/UX. I thought we had moved past the opinion of Blender's UI being
> > terrible during the 2.5 time frame, so I was a bit surprised to see
> several
> > complaints about it. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of specific
> > complaints other than "it is not the same as Maya/Max".
> >
> > I was curious what others on this mailing list thought about the current
> > state of Blender's user experience, if something should be done to
> improve
> > it, and what could be done to improve it.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Daniel Stokes

Douglas E Knapp, MSAOM, LAc.