[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes, 9 April 2016

Alexander Romanov a.romanov at blend4web.com
Tue Apr 12 10:49:23 CEST 2016

Hi all!
I have some thoughts about removing BI in Blender 2.8.
1) I've tried to remove BI code and found that there must be some active
render engine, so, at least one always should be built in the core and
for now it is BI. We can select Cycles, but it is an addon, which can be
disabled. Should we isolate the common part of all Viewport engines? For
example, solid and wireframe modes could be common. For now the Cycles
and BI shading in solid mode is different.
2) BI(CPU side) has a more strong reliance with the core then Cycles.
They are just parts of monolithic kernel. But this reliance can be weakened.
3) Blend4Web developers don't really like the idea of BI permanent
removal. Because the future is still not clear and we don't know what
functionality the future Viewport will have and how soon it will
cover/replace the current capabilities.
4) In addition BI Viewport at the moment is the only self-sufficient
real time renderer for Blender. Cycles so far is underdeveloped. Also,
it is not known what would be the basis for the future Viewport system.
Clement's work? Or some other system with new nodes, that is more
compatible with the deferred shading technology?
5) So, my proposal is to reduce relationship between the core and BI and
put BI into an addon. I want to keep the old node system, at least for
the first time. Of course, OpenGL BI code will stay in the core, since
we have no infrastructure to build it separately (and probably we will
never exclude the viewport from the core into a module because of
monolithic kernel policy). So I would like to help to refactor Viewport
in order to keep the old node system.

Alexander Romanov (Blend4Web Team)