[Bf-committers] Blender and Oculus - Food for Thought

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 20:52:39 CEST 2015

Hi Jacob,

> offscreen rendering is esential for fast 2d effects as well?

Speed aside, offscreen rendering allows for quality you won't get
otherwise. If you are counting relying on warping the acquired data,
offscreen allows you to work with an original higher resolution buffer
(e.g., similar to what the BGE does in the fulldome mode with warp
meshes). So speed is not even the point here.

Apart from that, using FBO allows you to hand out the buffer to the
SDK, without having to worry about implementing distortion shaders
yourself.

> also, how do we get screen space AO and screen space reflections?  something similar?

Such off-screen rendering routine should support any of the fancy
viewport effects Blender now has. In fact as part of the function
arguments we should probably be able to set specific viewport settings
(render only, ao, ...).

Cheers,
Dalai
--