[Bf-committers] Blender and Oculus - Food for Thought

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 19:05:26 CEST 2015

Hi there,

I've been pondering on how to get proper Oculus support in Blender
"viewport", and it came down to the ideas presented here:
http://www.dalaifelinto.com/?p=1108

Basically, I propose we expand our Blender/Game Engine API with the following:

* Allow off-screen rendering straight to a FBO bind id with custom
OpenGL matrices
* BGL extended to support glBindFramebuffer amount other required GL functions
* BGE Video Texture ImageRender to support FBO rendering and custom
OpenGL matrices

That should allow for not only oculus but any shader-based HMD (Head
Mounted Display) to use Blender (or rather, to have an addon written
to support it).

Any thoughts on that? Can anyone come up with a different design to
address that?

(in the link above I explain why I think a Python approach is
preferable over a deeper C integration between Blender and the Oculus
SDK).

Thanks,
Dalai
--