[Bf-committers] Link custom node trees to datablocks.

Francesc Juhe fjuhec at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 12:39:32 CEST 2015

On 22 Oct 2015, at 10:58, Alexander Romanov <a.romanov at blend4web.com> wrote:

>>> I think, it would looks like:
>>>
>>> class MyNodeTree(bpy.types.NodeTree):
>>>     bl_idname ='MyNodeTree'
>>>     bl_source_types = {"OBJECT", "WORLD", "MATERIAL”}
>> I was thinking on a function like the one accepted by EnumProperty that returned items (sequence of string tuples or a function) – sequence of enum items formatted: [(identifier, name, description, icon, number), …]
>> I think it would be more versatile for custom node trees.
> I think that the "parent" datablocks types should be defined in blender
> kernel likeit was doneforAnimData. Thus there is a countable set of
> types. Each type has general meaning for all custom nodetrees. So it
> seems that is no need to move this work into scripting.

But in the end, what is needed to fix the issue is a way to store in SpaceNodeEditor an enum or a value that holds the selected ‘data source’ but there is no real connection between this value and the nodetree returned by NodeTree.get_from_context(), the scripted function that is in fact returning the nodetree that is being edited in the node editor.

Your proposal of using a set of items known to Blender is just limiting the amount of items available to NodeTree.get_from_context() to decide the appropriate nodetree that is returned to the editor.
Being able to set the items along with NodeTree.get_from_context() is much more versatile.

What would be the final proposed list of items available to build this enum?