[Bf-committers] Link custom node trees to datablocks.

Francesc Juhe fjuhec at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 12:46:39 CEST 2015

Sure, PointerProperty would be a great addition to the API but seems like a complicated issue.
If it could accept filters then it can be used as a substitute for prop_search.

Something like:
  bpy.props.IDProperty(type=‘OBJECT’, subtype=‘CAMERA') # to link a camera an object

or:
  bpy.props.IDProperty(src=bpy.data.objects, filter=some_python_filter_func) # to link an ID from bpy.data.objects with filter

In the end, I would be happy with the PointerProperty and being able to link to objects, node_groups or whatever.

I proposed the NodeTree property just to be on par with internal node trees, they are not stored in bpy.data.node_groups, they are stored on the ID. But sure, a PointerProperty would work for solving issue (2) you mention.

As for issue, (1) Generalized nodetree editing, I think this could work:

- Add a property to SpaceNodeEditor to hold the custom nodetree type.
- Add a function registered on NodeTreeType that returns a list of accepted data sources.
- Add appropriate draw code on space_node.py to draw the data source icons provided by the function and storing it on the SpaceNodeEditor property.
- NodeTreeType then uses the property to know the data source selected on the Node Editor.

I wanted to try to make a patch for this but haven’t had the time yet, I think this issue is not as difficult as the other.

In the Mitsuba Addon I am reusing SpaceNodeEditor.shader_type to select between world and object data source and works ok.