[Bf-committers] Link custom node trees to datablocks.

Alexander Romanov a.romanov at blend4web.com
Wed Oct 21 10:34:49 CEST 2015

Hi!
Not sure about another storage for nodetrees. I think, there should be
one storage for them and multiple storages for links.
But I agreewith Isaac about generalization. Here is some discussion
about PointerProperty https://developer.blender.org/T34766 . I think,
this is the way to go. And that is what I also was thinking about. There
are two separate issues : 1) Generalized nodetree editing through
Blender UI for a nodetree linked to any datablock.
(http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Linking_Custom_Node_Tree_to_DataBlock) 2)
Make it possible to create links of any types with reference counting
through python PointerProperty. (https://developer.blender.org/T34766)
What do you think about PointerProperty?
On 21.10.2015 04:40, Isaac Weaver wrote:
> I like the idea of adding a new property type, but I wonder if it could be
> generalized to more ID types (Object, Scene, etc.)
>
> Maybe something like this:
>      bpy.props.IDProperty(subtype='OBJECT') # to store an object
>      bpy.props.IDProperty(subtype='SCENE') # to store a scene
>      bpy.props.IDProperty(subtype='NODE_TREE', type=NodeTreeType) # to store
> a node tree
>
> Would a property like this make sense?
>
> Thanks,
> ~ Isaac
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Francesc Juhe <fjuhec at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> As the main developer behind the Mitsuba exporter I like your proposal.
>> It would greatly improve the current workflow.
>>
>> But I would also like to make another proposal.
>>
>> - Add to Blender a bpy.props.NodeTree(type=NodeTreeType) that can be
>> attached to ID. This way there is no need to fill the bpy.data.node_groups.
>>
>> - Add a function to NodeTreeType that can be called from blender or python
>> and returns a list of accepted data sources by that NodeTreeType. That way
>> the node editor can show the appropriate options to the user to select the
>> correct data source.
>>
>> What do you think? Possible?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Francesc
>>

>> On 07 Oct 2015, at 16:32, Alexander Romanov <a.romanov at blend4web.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone from Blend4Web Team!
>>> We're currently working with node trees in our node-based logic editor
>>> and we've noticed some
>>> shortcomings in python API. We have some ideas about improving API for
>>> custom node trees.
>>> Briefly, we want to make it possible to link custom node trees to
>>> datablocks such as Scene,
>>> Object, etc. Here is a link to the proposal:
>>> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Linking_Custom_Node_Tree_to_DataBlock
>>>
>>> I would like to discuss this with developers of addons which use custom
>>> node trees, such as Sverchok and Luxrender.

Alexander Romanov (Blend4Web Team)