[Bf-committers] Installer for Windows is not signed

Trouble Daemon troubledaemon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 18:18:36 CEST 2015

And then there is the fact that anything that isn't stored in a smart card
offers no accountability whatsoever as the cert can and will be mailed
around with little to no regard for security (ie, not gpg signed nor
encrypted, etc.), which means the signed binary has no meaning and only is
being used to silence a windows warning.

Being realistic, I can't see signing happening unless it becomes mandatory
to run apps, or if someone pays for the cert and the process isn't terribly
time consuming to the windows (and osx?) Devs. Heck, gpg is free, as is md5
and sha unix tools, and we don't even make signed checksum files available
along side the downloads!

Dan