[Bf-committers] Weekly Blender developers meeting notes - October 11, 2015

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Oct 11 17:17:19 CEST 2015

Hi all,

Here are the notes of today's meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.

1) The 2.76 release

- After a couple of "release ahoys", we now have a final official 2.76 binary available!

- Mirrors have been syncing now, after this e-mail the release will be announced officially.

- Julian Eisel made a great list of "missing features" that didn't end up in logs.
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.76/missing

2) Planning for the upcoming months

- Meeting confirms to stick to BCon1 (everything is open) until early December.
  This to have time and energy to discuss 2.8 proposals and find out how to make a bigger leap.

- Within two weeks a lot of people will be on the Blender Conference. Expect 2.8 planning to be
  one of the main topics.

- If conference visitors want a quiet meeting room for discussions with small groups (8-12) let me know!

- Campbell Barton proposes: Python will get version bump to 3.50.
  https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-350/

- Mike Erwin, works with AMD on getting OpenSubdiv less bottlenecked at CPU and use GPU better.
  He will write up a proposal in wiki, also to help making Blender perform reliable for benchmarks.
  Result might require a release update. We'll check this later.

- A short discussion on "Unified physics" revealed difference in viewpoints. We can keep using
 different libraries for physics, but attempt to unify the APIs and data structures that connect it.
 The user experience and tools then is unified. For example, a node system could achieve that.

- Responsibilities: a free period of discussion and reviewing ideas should not lead to insecurity.
It keeps being important to (re)confirm team roles and empower individuals to work on things.
This should be much more clear before December.

Laters,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute