[Bf-committers] Please can we get a decision about future support for Collada ?

homac homac at strace.org
Fri Nov 27 08:40:53 CET 2015

Hey there!

Not sure if I'm free to express my opinion here, but I feel somehow
related to this discussion due to my current project.

Long story short: I suggest a radical change and move further towards a
pure plugin architecture (even on C language level), removing (i.e.
outsourcing) everything that's not blender core functionality into a
separate plugin project (no longer part of blender's source code tree).

Blender has grown to a significant large system trying to fulfill all
kinds of user demands. Unfortunately, the development/maintenance effort
grows exponentially with the size of a software system due to the
interfaces between modules and necessary negotiations between the
different teams maintaining it. And people tend to stick to what they
already have which results in interfaces getting more and more messed up
with every compromise made to suite the needs of others due to the tight
integration.

Consequently moving to a plugin architecture concept (again: on C
level), and removing everything not actually part of blenders core
functionality, cleans up interfaces and gives you more freedom for
future developments. The plugin teams on the other side have their own
freedom to write whatever they think is necessary, and they know exactly
what they can expect from core. (so, gaia: you could keep maintaining
collada if you so desire - that's why I wrote this mail ;) ). Due to the
same reason, it will attract more coders to contribute and the blender
ecosystem will grow even faster without you having to worry about it.
And blender can need it, because development seems a bit behind schedule
considering modern methods and technologies - as I realised in less than
a month working with blender core and listening what you are talking
about on channels.

For those, who didn't get the picture yet: I think of Eclipse or Apache
server as some prominent successful examples. There is of course a lot
of ranting between the different groups, and plugins/modules tend to
have compatibility issues but the benefit is obvious, I believe.

Regards
  Holger