[Bf-committers] Please can we get a decision about future support for Collada ?

Gaia Clary gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Thu Nov 26 21:45:09 CET 2015


Recently there was a serious discussion about removing the Collada
module from Blender. As far as i understand there is no decision
made yet, but i have the impression that all main developers want
this module to be removed.

* The main problem with keeping Collada seem to be the size of its
    libraries (some 40 MBytes) which need to be shipped with Blender

* The main problem with creating a Python based alternative is that
    Creating a Collada Importer for Blender is a challenge. Collada
    exporters are not such a big problem.

Can we get a decision on that? Depending on that decision i will
either continue to maintain the Collada module or let it go.

But Please do not misunderstand me. If the decision is made to keep
the Collada module, then i will of course continue working on it.
Otherwise i will step to new challenges :)


More information about the Bf-committers mailing list