[Bf-committers] A Pythonistas Wishlist for Blender 2.8

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 10:12:47 CET 2015

Hi Andreas, reply in line.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Andreas Klostermann
<andreasklostermann at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not a Blender developer, so I know I can't implement these wishes or
> expect
> anyone else to fulfill them. I do believe however, that this list may be
> interesting
> to some in the community.
>
> TL;DR:
> * native, official AsyncIO integration

Can you give some high level examples of how this would be used in Blender?
I can imagine how it might be used - but interested to know where you
think the real important use cases are.

Note that this is a provisional library which is subject to change according to:
https://docs.python.org/3.5/library/asyncio.html?highlight=asyncio#module-asyncio

Thats fine, we can still investigate having initial support ourselves.
but this seems like longer term project and we should consider how
this impacts the rest of Blender (potential problems, how Python devs
would expect it to work).

> * support for Cython

Not sure what you mean by this, developers can use Cython to build
their own CPython extensions to distribute to users.
Bundling Cython with Blender would need users to have a C compiler for
it to be useful.

> * generic Python callbacks for operator calls

Python interacting with modal operators is indeed not well supported.

> * replace the blender-specific Python distribution with Continuum
> Analytic's Conda

Am not familiar with Conda, can other Python devs comment on this?

> * numpy array access to audio samples
> * more Numpy in general

Currently we bundle numpy but don't depend on it.
for now Id like to keep Blender from requiring numpy as a build dependency.
According to Martijn we can make use of numpy using Python's
interfaces, or header only (so structs are known but no need to link
against).
As far as I know, nobody spent much time investigating this.

Low level audio sample access seems quite specific,
Jorg Muller (nexYon) is the audaspace library maintainer, audaspace
has its own Python API, so any changes to the API would happen there:
https://github.com/neXyon/audaspace

> I put some more details here:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:BayesianHorse/BlenderPythonWishList
>

> Again, I know that most of this is not going to happen, but I hope that
> these suggestions can inspire a bit of debate about the Python API, and
> what addons can and can't do in Blender.

- Campbell