[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - November 22. 2015
ton at blender.org
Sun Nov 22 16:56:27 CET 2015
Here are the notes from today's meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders
1) Blender 2.77 targets
- Meeting agrees on Mike Erwin's proposal to upgrade Blender to OpenGL 2.1 minimal.
This is an OpenGL release from 2006 and widely in use nowadays.
Benefits are: having cleaner code (less exception handling), getting ready for more OpenGL
upgrades, and allowing to default use newer and much faster OpenGL methods.
Blender 2.77 will get a function to notify users if their system is not
supporting OpenGL 2.1.
For hardware it means:
* NVidia Geforce FX, Geforce 6xxxx and newer (released in 2003)
* AMD Radeon R600+, Radeon HD, and newer (released in 2006)
* Intel HD graphics or newer (released in 2010), some older cards
might still work on OS X and Linux
- Blender Institute will make systems available for devs to test remotely.
- Work will happen in git master - for as much as possible.
The bigger commits will be reviewed first on developer.blender.org
- Mike Erwin will be in the lead for this project, a lot of people offered help to be standby.
Main coordination will be here and in our IRC channel.
2) Other projects
- Julian Eisel proposed to add an official 2.8 branch with C99 support.
Meeting agreed on moving to C99 for master instead. Brecht van Lommel will make a patch for review.
- Meeting agrees to not make official 2.8 branch(es) until we're done with the OpenGL migration,
and until we have a clear plan for what will happen in the branch(es) and who will work on it.
Ton Roosendaal - ton at blender.org - www.blender.org
Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute
Entrepotdok 57A - 1018AD Amsterdam - The Netherlands
More information about the Bf-committers