[Bf-committers] New modifier: Reduced order shape optimization using offset surfaces

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 11:03:39 CET 2015

To follow up on Antony's points,

Blender's solidify modifier is fine for a quick results but doesn't
re-mesh the shell which limits its use.
So the option to use a higher quality shell calculation method is welcome.

As for the dependencies, we already bundle Eigen.
libigl repository contains many external-libraries, however they don't
have to be committed into our source tree since its a header only
library.
To review for inclusion, it comes down to which headers your work depends on.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Antony Riakiotakis <kalast at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Lukas,
>
> First of all, wishing you success with your thesis.
>
> Blender is open source as you know so everyone can hack on it.
> That said, there is no C/C++ based plugin system and our python does
> not support modifiers yet, though perhaps in the future you might be
> able to write some modifier-like node-based plugin probably. This
> currently leaves you with one option for the implementation, write it
> within blender,s source tree.
>
> Under those restrictions, the only "agreement" needed is that if you
> plan to distribute this, you would have to do it under a GPL compliant
> licence. Notice that "distribute" is the keyword here, nothing stops
> you from having an in-house closed source implementation.
>
> If you plan to integrate this on core blender, it just needs agreement
> from the modifier system maintainers (that would be Campbell or Brecht
> I think?). Also you need to make sure that the system uses blender's
> interaction paradigms, adhere to our coding style guidelines, and it
> would be good if you had people who want to use this demonstrate its
> usefulness. Functionality looks a bit like the solidify modifier, so
> you need to expand on the advantages your system will have over that.
>
> That's my 2c for now.
>
> On 15/11/2015, Lukas Gersthofer <lukasgersthofer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> My name is Lukas and I'm from Vienna, Austria. I'm studying Visual
>> Computing at the Vienna University of Technology and I'm going to work on
>> my Bachelor thesis this term. It's about implementing and distributing the
>> following paper as a blender plugin:
>> https://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/publications/2015/musialski-2015-souos/
>>
>> My supervisor (the main author of the paper, Przemyslaw Musialski) wants me
>> to implement it as a modifier (like Laplacian Deform).
>>
>> I will use two external libraries:
>>  - Eigen 3.2.7        http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/
>>  - libigl 1.2.1          http://libigl.github.io/libigl/
>>
>> Both libs are licensed under the MPL2.
>>
>> And there comes my question:
>> Do you agree with the development of this new modifier?
>> I hope you do :)
>>

>> --
>> with kind regards
>>
>> Lukas Gersthofer