[Bf-committers] Text editor patch ideas

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 00:16:51 CET 2015

Hi Diego,

Currently we're mainly interested to keep the text editor working
well, but not spend time adding features from more advanced editors,
developers most likely have their own preferred editor anyway.

As long as we don't have an active maintainer here, changes should at
least not be causing bugs & extra maintenance work for existing devs.

Note that there are basic features not working so well:
- backspace support for tabs-as-spaces.
- auto-complete could be improved to refine list while typing.
- no visual clue for horizontal scrolling.

Replies to suggestions on the wiki page:

1) margin color

Agree the color wasn't so good, changed
https://developer.blender.org/rBee761ebd

2) auto-add braces/quotes etc...

Would rather not, to work well it needs to be context sensitive,
(disabled in comments/strings for eg).

3) Auto un-indent

Rather not (means we need to be smarter about parsing Python text),
though currently backspace doesn't treat spaces-as-tabs, small issue
but would be nice to resolve.

4) Show whitespace characters

Yes.

5). Automatically set line numbers and syntax colors

Rather not, though a way to always use syntax highlighting for
recognized file-types could work.

6) Indent Lines

Yes

7). Scroll Offset

Seems fine, though we could just pick a good default (~4 lines).

8) Custom mono font

We have an interface font preference already,
so as long as this isn't causing problems with other users of mono
fonts (render stamp for eg), it could be ok.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 9:53 AM, Diego Gangl <dnicolas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've posted about some patches I've been wanting to write for the text
> editor here:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Requests/TextEditor
>
> It's nothing earth-shattering but I'd like to know how "landable" these are
> before diving into them.
>
> Since the text editor is orphaned (says the wiki) I was hoping someone
> related to the module could give me a "yay" or "nay" on these.
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Diego Gangl - sinestesia.co

- Campbell