[Bf-committers] Updating Colour Configurations

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sun Nov 8 13:00:22 CET 2015

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 12:19 AM, Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm willing to repair the configurations, assuming we can agree on the
> following:
>
> 1) To remove the ACES configurations. They are old, hacked, and going to
> mislead people via the name "ACES" to imply that they are canonized
> versions.

If someone cares about ACES they can provide their own configuration,
removing the outdated one seems fine to me.

> 2) To add in the proper transforms for the default iMac P3 displays.

If this is just adding the P3 color space for reading images and
display that seems reasonable. If it's more then please explain what
that is.

> 3) To revisit the idea that we should be colour managing the entire UI, as
> icons and other bits now will look odder.

I think it's inevitable if you want to display wide gamut images while
still displaying the rest of the UI correctly. It's a huge task and
needs a good design though, since it's easy to make a mess if it's not
done properly, it affects a lot of code.

> 4) Revisit the hard coded Cycles sRGB muckery and focus on fixing it.

I think everyone agrees that this needs to be improved.

Are you volunteering to actually implement 3) and 4), or just update
the configuration for 1) and 2)?