[Bf-committers] Opensubdiv and catmull-clark again

Yury Baranov cucumberer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 13:52:32 CET 2015

Opensubdiv is unusable ATM in fact. Problems are:
1. Unable to apply Subsurf with OSD enabled. Result is identical to Subsurf
without OSD check.
2. Shading is wrong (bug is in the bugtracker already). OSD takes normals
for shading from lowpoly instead of computing new normals.
3. No UV subdivision.
4. GLSL Compute is not working for me.
OK, the feature is too new and too raw to use it in production. But OSD is
based on Catmull-Clark algo, which is already used in the Subsurf modifier,
OSD is just speeding mesh calculation up. The problem is, OSD and
Catmull-Clark subdiv models look different, it not supposed to happen IMHO.