[Bf-committers] Some Ideas for a Blender Plugin System

Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at stuvel.eu
Wed Nov 4 08:58:42 CET 2015

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 08:04:03PM +0100, matmenu wrote:
> 2) Do you have a proof for this claim? I mean, modifier/operator
> combinations already lead to bugs, I don't see why having them as
> plugins/modules would make those problems arise more often?

I don't understand your reasoning. To me it reads like "we get bugs
now, so why would we get more when we complicate the software?" In the
current situation there is a fixed set of functionality in C++
(ignoring precompiler directives). In the case of a plugin structure,
not only do we have the same set of functionality, but also situations
where that functionality is only partially loaded. More different
possible situations -> more complex -> more bugs.

> 3) That's true, but then the user decide to install this module, so
> he will report the bug to the original dev

This is only true if the bug is trivial to to identify by end-users.
Plenty of bugs won't be. Think about double-free bugs, where the first
free is performed in the plugin. A crash may happen when Blender
itself frees the pointer, and thus any traceback (if that's shown at
all) will indicate a problem in Blender, not the plugin.

> 4) Also true, but we now have a buildbot that can make builds on
> demand for all supported OS. It could be used further by
> module/plugin devs and avoid having to ship a compiler with Blender.

AFAIK FreeBSD is not built by this system. Furthermore, allowing
arbitrary third party code to be run on a BI/BF-hosted machine is an
invitation for trouble. This already happens, but through the Git
repository, so at least it's only done by people that have been vetted
by receiving commit access.

--
Sybren A. Stüvel

http://stuvelfoto.nl/