[Bf-committers] VSE render times really huge!

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu May 21 13:11:55 CEST 2015

Sure we should enable threading for the codecs which supports this. It is
relatively easy to do in BKE_ffmpeg_preset_set().

GPU i'm not sure will make much sense for blender, copying frames
back-n-forth will kill performance. But could give some speedup for high
resolution perhaps.

One more thing to consider: video editors usually does frame-based
threading, meaning separate frames are handled in separate threads which
makes it much better CPU utilization. This isn't quite possible in blender,
so speed comparison is not totally correct.

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The guy exported a 1 hour video to a new encoding, which took 6 hours.
> Isn't that expected?
>
> To put things in perspective, read about Adobe users complaining about the
> same:
> https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1506298
>
> My only non-OS experience with re-encoding is Apple iMovie, and man that's
> slow! Just 5 minutes took more than an hour.
>
> If ffmpg can use threaded encoding, we for sure should enable that though
> :)
>
> -Ton-

> Ton Roosendaal  -  ton at blender.org   -   www.blender.org
> Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute
> Entrepotdok 57A  -  1018AD Amsterdam  -  The Netherlands
>

> On 20 May, 2015, at 23:35, Knapp wrote:
>
> > I found this while waiting for a really long time for 10 minutes of video
> > to render.
> >
> http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/18774/render-times-for-standard-non-3d-video
> > Seem that we are all having a bad time with the render speeds and it is
> > doing no 3d work at all. Is this perhaps a bug and needs to go into the
> bug
> > tracker or should this just be expected?
> >
> > If it is normal than this is a BF-Fun request for speed and max CPU
> usage.
> > I have 8 threads and none of them are over 15 most of the mie but for one
> > that jumps up to 100% but only sometimes. A bunch of the cores are at 2
> or
> > 3%.
> > Linux Sabayon KDE i7 16GB ram Nvidia GTX 580.
> >

> > --
> > Douglas E Knapp
> >
> > Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer:
> > http://douglas.bespin.org/tcm/ztab1.htm
> > Please link to me and trade links with me!

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin