[Bf-committers] General purpose icons for Blender Addons?

Marc Dion marcdion1974 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 05:50:55 CEST 2015

This *is* worth discussing, but is this a bit off topic here? I think this
list is mainly supposed to be for developers working on current blender
projects (if I'm not mistaken) and this UI topic tends to inflame some
people, either way we should be careful here. :)

To address a point or two... Blender can be used to make any icons that the
imagination can imagine,  and also with unique lighting/style.

Here's a representation of how this might work.
http://static.wixstatic.com/media/d5cf41_2594607a5488494b8cfe41fdb311a4ef.png_srz_p_600_607_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

I think a decent way to handle this would be a contest that is a
collaboration of all the main Blender related educational sites which hold
contests like CG Cookie, CG Masters, Blender Guru, Blender Nation, etc...
where people could submit collections of icons they have built using
Blender.  There is substantial interest from many artists and this
*mostly *does
not require any programming ability.  Making a hundred or more icons that
look nice will likely require a large effort from many people.

To address the point of a consistent style:  it does look nice, however,
the brain can scan through a diverse color scheme faster than anything else
and without any conscious thought being necessary.   Our unconscious
ability to isolate and lock onto color differences could make icon
selection virtually instantaneous if they are all unique.

That's just something to consider, a consistent theme is nice too and tends
to look more professional.

Well, I'm out of this unless one of the big-key-holders expresses further
interest :)