[Bf-committers] Addon guidelines (suggested update)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 21:46:23 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> On 07.05.2015 19:48, Campbell Barton wrote:
>> ----
>>
>> While there is a lot of room to extend Blender in different ways,
>> please note that obscure functionality, minor changes or
>> tweaks for your own specific work-flow may be rejected for inclusion in Blender.
>>
>> While there is great value in developing your own tools,
>> some additions don't make sense to include in the blender.org official releases.
>>
>> ----
>
> to avoid "obscure" and "don't make sense" what about rewording to:
>
> While there is a lot of room to extend Blender in different ways, please
> note that functionality or tweaks specific for your own workflow, or only
> minor changes to existing tools may be rejected for inclusion in Blender.

sounds fine.

> While there is great value in developing your own tools, they need to serve
> a common use case to get included in the blender.org official releases.

This gets awkward... I was trying to avoid getting into details,
possibly we cant avoid.

The statement above says that the add-ons have to be usable in common cases.

However the ability to have add-ons for specialized areas is useful
too, where its a *complete* solution, even if its only useful in a
niche field.

Eg:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/PDB
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Modeling/PrintToolbox