[Bf-committers] C++11 Audaspace

Jörg Müller nexyon at gmail.com
Mon May 4 14:42:42 CEST 2015

Hi,

I've talked to Campbell about this on IRC as well, he suggests that we
do both, have the library in extern and allow a system installed with a
corresponding cmake option.

I've tried to build audaspace C++11 with older versions of gcc, it works
fine with gcc 4.7.4 and it needs minor changes to work with gcc 4.6.2,
so I think we would be fine to use it.

The benefit is at the moment a better Python API and a more stable
library. In the long run there will be more benefits as new features
will be added only to the new audaspace. One of the planned features is
to implement native audio backends for each platform, so that we have
direct support of Core Audio (Windows, Mac, different libraries but same
name...), ALSA and pulseaudio. This should also result in closing some
bugs in the tracker that are caused by OpenAL soft for example.

So my plan is to integrate the new library with blender and merge this
to master after the 2.78 release if we approve it in bcon1. The point is
to have it in master and test it on all platforms. Keeping the old
version allows to use that for release still, we can delete it as soon
as we decide to release with the new version.

Any further comments on this?

Regards,
Jörg