[Bf-committers] User added Metcaps, finished??

Chris Lee infin8eye at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 05:32:33 CEST 2015

You cannot use the baked AO to UV map and masking in a sculpt workflow, no.
It is an interesting technique though for visualising a final sculpt.
However the basic setup of any matcap as a texture is so simple, it can
take less than a minute.
I just found this, which provides all the details at a glance:
http://sozomaika.deviantart.com/art/Blender-Matcap-material-tutorial-431268608

Just for reference, you can do this in cycles:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?303899-SOLVED-matcap-in-cycles-with-nodes

Plus if you wanted to use nodes to colour the recessed areas procedurally,
you could use a colour ramp.
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?305648-Cycles-Height-based-material

In theory you could combine the matcap and colour ramp technique, to get a
procedural version of the previous video, but I have not tried to do it.

Regards,
Chris Lee

Kind Regards,
Chris "*Chips*" Lee