[Bf-committers] User added Metcaps, finished??

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 11:06:39 CEST 2015

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Chris Lee <infin8eye at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to interject here, but is there any need for this?
>
> I create matcap materials a lot and it is easily done by adding a matcap
> image mapped to normals instead of UVs. The built in scene matcaps are nice
> for a simple, quick visualisation tool but since they don't render there is
> little point to customising them.
>
> Or am I missing something? What purpose do you see it fulfilling?
>
> Regards,
> Chris Lee

I use them mostly for sculpting. Sometime I change the color just because I
am an artist and like new colors. :-)
But to be more practical, I change them because different ones show
different sorts of details in the model as I work. Sometimes I change the
color because I need more contrast with the background or with other parts
of the model. It is true that what we have is often good enough but I have
found only one that I really like and that is the cherry red with a rough
surface. I would like to have more because there might be better ones and I
like to play with them as well as perhaps having more that just one good
one for my purpose.

--
Douglas E Knapp