[Bf-committers] Blender developers meeting notes - March 22, 2015

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Mar 22 18:10:19 CET 2015

Hi all,

Here are the notes from today's meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.

1) 2.74 release progress

- The second Release Candidate is available now.

- We'll review the status tuesday, maybe we'll call for a third RC.
  Campbell Barton and Sergey Sharybin coordinate.

- Everyone: test test and test some more!

- Release log is still in progress, not every new feature (or change) had good docs.
  (see below too)

2) Targets for the next release

- The current planning and targets:
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Projects

- Multiview (stereo render) is nearly done.
Dalai Felinto expects to merge it next week or the week after.

- Antonis Ryakiotakis and Mike Erwin will work on merging the SoC viewport branch.
  Proposal and review coming soon!

- Ton Roosendaal repeats: all developers agreed to have no commits of new or changed features without doc - linked in the commit log.
A good doc includes a .blend demo, wiki description, screenshots or artwork or video.
Docs should be ready during review, and certainly before a commit. Not after! No excuses please!

- Lukas Toenne is currently working on (Alembic) cache system for hair and grass.
Campbell and Sergey will check with him on the current design, and what could go the 2.75 release.

3) Other projects

- Call for artists to help out with getting good demo file collections to share with a release.
Demos can be so much better to learn from than videos or tutorials! We had this before, but it never really took off.
Who volunteers to get more demo downloads with good art examples? Here's what we did for 2.61:

http://archive.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-261/blender-261-demo-files/index.html

- Campbell is having fun with a new modifier for improved character deformation: https://developer.blender.org/T43988

Thanks,

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute