[Bf-committers] remote controll blender renderer renderfarm / queue

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 12:36:47 CET 2015

For open-movies we typically launch Blender with a Python script and
pass extra command line arguments that the script can use (after
"--"), see: http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/6817

The command line options are intentionally kept quite basic since
there are so many things you *might* want to do, it doesn't make much
sense to start exposing large parts of the Python API as command line
args.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Robert Grah <smilingmolecule at web.de> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I hope this is the right place to ask my question.
> I am searching for some information regarding the communicating with the Blender renderer or Blender in general from other software or scripts.
> I am not sure what possibilities I have and what is the best way is to remote control Blender from the outside to let Blender for example manage render tasks.
>

> I discovered so far that I have the following possibilities to communicate with Blender:
>

> Via commandline arguments. (seems very restricted)
> Via Python scripts which can be loaded when starting Blender over the command prompt.
>

> Is there more?
>

> I basically want to start understanding the whole render queue / renderfarm thing. So that I maybe can commit code to Sheep-it, Flamenco or Blender for example in the future.
> I am also searching for general theories about how to build a render farm infrastructure. What approaches are existing? What solutions are used for the Blender movies.
>

> Maybe someone can point me to good resources about this. I had no real success so far finding good info.
>

> I hope my questions are not to naive.
>

> Cheers,
> Robert

- Campbell